Thursday, May 15, 2008

FLIPSIDE 1.5

As I near the completion of my book of poems and short stories, I will leak one of the poems that I have included in the book. Take a look at the poem, let me know what you think afterwards. Please your valued opinions are needed. The poetic device in most of my work is a combination of Harlem Renaissance and early 20th century British Literature. Pretty much what that means is you'll hear some Wordsworth, Blake and Hardy, but sprinkled with Hughes, Morrison, and Baldwin....enjoy.






Uptown on the #2




The dreary day has diminished. My eyes have been set free to roam another day, another scenery, and another lifetime. Shutting the steel door behind me, I know that my love will be at the train station to welcome me home. The tracks spark and scream bloody murder as the wheels burn them trying to stop and throw momma from the train.

Good evening miss. Oh, maybe you didn’t hear me, I hear the baby screaming, the snoring intern tired from making coffee and donut runs all morning. I should probably speak loud so that you can hear me. Good evening miss! Never mind. My woman’s gonna be waiting for me anyway, at my stop. I’m going back to Harlem, 135th and Lennox. That’s my stop. You know where that is? Hello. Okay, I’m tired of being nice. I’m done speaking with you lady. You can forget about those tickets to the Apollo. That’s right up the street on 125th and we ain’t gotta go in through the back door like we used to either. We comin’ up baby!

Nothin’ like the ol’ #2 train runnin’ uptown, huh? Oh yeah, I forgot you wasn’t talkin’ to me. I bet if my man Langston was here, you’d talk to him. You sisters are soft on those light skinned cats. Me and my man James can’t get no love. You know James right? The cat who graduated from that school of arts and wrote that book. Something about tellin’ on the mountain or some jazz like that.

The doors flung themselves open and tossed people out all the while sucking others in. The commotion awoke the gray-haired short woman with the young child attached to her arm.

This our stop granny. Were you dreaming about granddad again? I know you miss him. I miss him too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

first i want to say wow. i knew you were intelligent and a good wirter but wow. you inspired me to pick up my pen again.
luv u

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

nice blog folk hop u dont mind the drive by. do check me out one day when u can rawdawgbuffalo and if u like what u read, please comment and fell free to
Blog Roll Me