Sunday, May 18, 2008

FLIPSIDE 1.6

My collection of short stories and poems is going to be titled "Off the Block". The title has a few meanings for me. The first is to pay homage to Langston Hughes, who is one of my favorite writers. He had a collection of poems called "The Block". So, in turn, this title is in homage to his work. Another meaning for the title is just a reference to my neighborhood. My Block. Writing is my avenue away from the block, while that same block inspires most of my writing. The book will be available for all to enjoy by mid July, but until then I will leak one final poem from my collection.....Hope you enjoy..catch ya' on the FLIPSIDE.





EYES OF MIDNIGHT
Broken, crushed, slaughtered,
Somehow saved by prayers,
The promise of golden gates
Giving way to serenity, identity.

Sunshine plays hide and seek with the moon
Every now and then going unnoticed for hours
Never revealing its hiding place.

Freedom prevails and sunshine reveals itself
One minute too late, but not soon enough
The moon readies for another game tonight.

Eager feet trust the sunshine won’t peek
Just count to ten, how many will it discover
Shadows scurry under the moon’s watch
Chasing the North Star, chasing
Life, freedom, identity, equality.

Still chasing

No comments: