Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Is gay the new black

Perhaps I'm extremely ignorant and if that is the disposition that I exude, then please excuse me. However, is it me or is there an abundance of people declaring that they are gay all of the sudden? Entertainers, athletes, pastors, politicians, everywhere you look someone is gay. Now, someone's sexual preference is not my business nor my concern but now being gay is being compared to being black in the civil rights movement.

Last time I checked there were no gay people being hanged. There are no straight only restrooms. How can u compare the two? Some even suggest that as a black person, I am somehow hypocritical to be an advocate for civil rights and equality for blacks and not gays. What rights are the gay community not getting? Marriage? Spousal benefits?

When did who you are sleeping with become such a social issue? And before any assumptions are made, no I am not an advocate for same sex marriage. Does that make me a hypocrite? While hoping for equality and an end to racism, I can't fathom worrying about if two college buddies are going to be able to get married in their hometown.

Not to sound cynical or anything but being gay is not a race or ethnicity, nor is it some kind of affliction that won't allow a person to pursue the American Dream -- being black once blocked that pursuit. Catch ya' on the FLIPSIDE.

No comments: